Saturday, March 9, 2013

I'm a believer

Remember those collars I mentioned that we got for the cats? The Feliway collars that have a calming pheromone on them, right up by the cats' faces? I wrote that I was skeptical about how effective they would be, since we'd used the spray to no effect.

Well, I can tell now that they did work because the cats are getting tense again. The collars are good for about four weeks and it's been close that now. Before you tell me I'm experiencing confirmation bias, let me tell you I don't want the collars to be so effective because (a) I can smell them and (b) they aren't cheap.

But both boy kitties are back to being very skittish and jumpy, and Eddie's starting to bully Chloe again. So I ordered another three of them from Amazon (I love Amazon), and the new collars will be here Tuesday.

I feel a little bit like a drug pusher. A purple, smelly drug.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Interesting. I'm still a little skeptical even though I believe you. But your cats have been through a lot of moves lately.

edj3 said...

They've just been through a lot, period. At least the boys -- so much drama in just six years. At least Chloe's had 12 or 13 years to spread it all across.

I didn't have any hope those collars would help and in a way, didn't want them to. Frankly I can smell them and I don't like the smell much. I do like the calmer cat behavior though.

Anonymous said...

What do you suppose is making them more stressed now than they were in Boston, or in the other Kansas house? The accumulation of moves? Or were they always this stressed? Poor guys --

edj3 said...

Oh they were stressed in Boston after the first cross country car trip, three moves, three floods and three rounds of loud invasive home repairs. Yes, that was all in Boston. They were fairly laid back before then.

I do think being in this house is better for them, but that was a lot of stress in their short little lives. They just turned six this month, and they've moved seven times.

Anonymous said...

Poor little guys! And cats don't like moves.