Sunday, June 10, 2012

The truth about cats and dogs

My BFF and her husband came over for dinner last night with their two young sons. T is almost 9 and J is 7 1/2 – they are fun kids, bright and inquisitive and not at all obnoxious. I feel like I can say that since I raised two boys also and know that sometimes boys can be a little on the rambunctious/obnoxious side. We all went over to the pool before dinner, which was a great way to socialize and let the kids burn off their energy.

Mostly the boys were fascinated with our cats. They have two dogs, a border collie and an Australian shepherd, but no cats. So they really wanted to interact with all three of ours. As you might imagine, the cats wanted nothing to do with them.

As the evening went on, they’d ask me about the cats, what they like, how they act, what it means when they meow or hiss or run away or just generally behave like cats. I enjoyed telling them about the differences between dogs and cats, like how you know a dog is happy when the tail wags but it’s a very different story when a cat whips its tail. T told me very solemnly that Wally had hissed at him and that he knew that meant Wally was afraid and needed his space.

We had a great time with the adults too—I look forward to doing it again, and also helping my cats get more socialized with children.

As for the cats, they have been utterly wiped out today.

Chloe is so tired she doesn't care
 that Eddie is kitty piling with her. 

Wally has hardly moved all day except to go
into the guest bathroom & lick the shower curtain. 

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

7-1/2 and 9 is fairly late to be learning good cat manners...but better late than never!

Joybells said...

I think I know just how Wally feels. Whenever I get overwhelmed with humanity, I feel a deep need to lick the shower curtain, too

edj3 said...

But do you also bite them?? He's left fang marks.

Joybells said...

I do not, however, our fatcat Tiger loves to bite crunchy or synthetic things. He destroyed several of Laura's old prom dresses that were hanging in her closet by sneaking in there and chewing on them. What is up with that, anyway???