Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bye-bye, Pinterest

I went to college in the early ‘90s, when Napster was everywhere. Most of the people I went to school with thought nothing of sharing music with each other, regardless of copyright. I was always uncomfortable with all that file sharing love, because while I had and have no great affection for large corporations, I thought it was wrong that the artist who created the music was getting nothing.

As you might imagine, my point of view wasn’t exactly popular. “Moralistic prig” is how one person described my position and while I got his point, he clearly didn’t get mine. I think the person who created the art should get compensated unless he or she has clearly said it’s a freebie. In my opinion, to do otherwise is stealing.

I got into Pinterest originally as a way to track sewing ideas, including fabrics, tutorials and examples of techniques I wanted to learn. I did initially wonder about copyright violations, but assumed/hoped that surely Pinterest had their legal ducks in a row.

Kent sent me this article yesterday, and after reading it I just don’t feel comfortable continuing to pin things. And it’s not like Pinterest is the only way to track those articles that interest me. All browsers have the ability to bookmark pages, and those bookmarks can be organized into folders. So that’s what I’ve done. I’ve also deleted my Pinterest account.

Obviously I run the risk of being labeled a moralistic prig again. Oh well. And don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do. I'm not. I'm just telling you why I won't be on Pinterest any more.

No comments: