Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Mixed bag

Last week I had a phone interview with a company in Detroit. As described, the job would have meant stepping back a few years in terms of my career, plus I'd have taken a $12k pay cut. But as described, it would have returned me to technical training development and delivery so I was interested.

You did notice the phrase “as described,” right? Yeah, the job I actually interviewed for was pretty different from the job description on the company’s career board. This would have been pure instructional design, with essentially no delivery or at least none for the six to nine months. On top of that, this group is tiny—two instructional designers—and tasked with crazy deadlines. I was so very glad to get the call almost immediately from the recruiter saying I didn’t have the kind of technical experience they were looking for. I did feel for the guy, though. He’s got the impossible job of filling a req that doesn’t accurately describe the position. He told me that he doesn’t think the qualified candidate exists. I assured him they do but they almost certainly won’t move to Detroit for that pay.

The second job I interviewed for was in Milwaukee. I’ve never received the kind of update I got today. I think they’re saying they’re still looking but will include my resume in the next round of candidate evaluations if I'm still interested. So if that’s the case, I might be good enough at some point in the future . . . I think? I’ve sent that email on to Kent to get his take on it. Usually I just get no answer, a rejection or a job offer. This is certainly new.

So onward I go with the job hunt. In the meantime, if you know of any jobs I might be suitable for, just holler. I would not mind in the least leaving Boston.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

You are good enough for any of these jobs. They just have to decide how to make their expectations more realistic, and whether the friend they've promised the job to will move there in time, or whether you would be willing to relocate before their vacation time.

FreshHell said...

You don't want to move to Detroit. Esp not for a pay cut. As for the other one? WTF? Sounds like nobody wants to make a decision or things are badly run there. Again, would you want a job where nobody knows what they're doing? Maybe I'm off base but if you weren't strong enough for the first round but you were for the next? That makes no sense.

edj3 said...

I think for the second position, I'm the safety candidate. You know, the way kids have a back up college they know they'll get accepted at? I'm that candidate, I think. So I wrote a nice email back indicating sure I'm still interested. Hey being interested doesn't stop me from looking for other jobs, right?

And there's a slight chance of a contract position back in KC for six to nine months. I'm seriously considering that one partly because it's temporary and partly because it's a lot more money than unemployment.

Stay tuned . . .

Jeanne said...

There are lots worse things than working in a place your spouse really wants to visit. If only cats could travel.

edj3 said...

Yeah as odd as this sounds, I worry about the cats. It's not like I can sit them down and talk through things.