Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wardrobe ramblings

I dislike looking at my full closet and thinking I have nothing to wear. That offends every obsessive/compulsive part of me along with the clutter-hating side of me. I’ve gone through and purged lots over the years and of course I got an inadvertent purge in 2010 when we got our clothing back from the restoration company.

You’ve probably heard of the whole color me beautiful concept which slots everyone into one of four or 12 seasons depending on the system used. My mother had the book in the 80s which used four seasons and we had a lot of fun trying to figure out our colors. But I was always frustrated by the four season concept because while I most definitely look best in the cool colors—which indicates winter or summer—I look wretched in a true red or pure white. The few times I've worn red (and yes, it was a cool red not an orangey red), I got asked if I was coming down with something. Under the original system, that’s supposed to mean I’m not a winter but a summer. Well the summer colors are far less saturated than the winter versions of the same and I look really washed out in those. Over the years I loosely pegged myself as a winter but one who couldn’t wear red or white.

Since I’m really motivated to get back into sewing for myself and stepping up my tailoring ability, I’ve been doing a lot of reading both about creating wardrobes from the patterns I pick and about making sure everything goes with everything in ways that flatter me. The Stitchers Guild has a six-pack challenge going on (basically sew six items that all work together and do it in the third quarter.

Then I found this website where the author pulls together capsule wardrobes based on a single color (I linked to the post about navy blue). Well now that got my attention. And then I read this post (again on the Stitchers Guild) about how the color me beautiful people have expanded the seasons. In reading the list of colors for the three kinds of winter, I realized I always and I do mean always have navy, stone and some sort of magenta/aubergine/pink in my wardrobe. I also always get complimented on those colors.

So my plan is this: create six new items based on those three colors. I’ve got all my patterns and I’ve ordered three of the fabrics which you can see here:


How do you plan your clothing purchases? Or do you? What colors do you prefer?


5 comments:

FreshHell said...

Hmm. That's a loaded question. I don't really plan. I have no money to spend really and when I'm looking for something, usually what works is only sold in black. I have a lot of black. Fortunately, it's not a bad color on me. I look good in jewel tones and fall colors (I think). I HATE to shop for clothes (as my poor sister will attest to). I hate everything about it and always end up feeling worse about myself than when I started. I might find one thing I like, buy it, wear it, and then....a while later, I'll realize just how horrible it looks. Whether this is true or not, I have no way of knowing. Blah. I hate having to think about clothes. I am pretty sure it shows but most people are kind enough to not say anything about it to my face. issues? I got 'em.

FreshHell said...

Oh - and, I like your choices. I bet those'll look nice on you.

edj3 said...

I've never ordered fabric online before. The prices are good but I really also like to see and touch my material. Hopefully this isn't a big ol mistake.

Jeanne said...

I wear a lot of red--any shade. And then I had a daughter whose coloring, as you can now personally attest, is very different from mine. The "seasons" coloring thing helped me understand how to begin picking out colors that look good on her--all the ones I don't wear, like yellows and browns. Once she wore a maroon soccer t-shirt and I (and everyone else who saw her that morning) thought she was about to throw up and/or faint any moment.

edj3 said...

Yes her coloring is very different from yours--more like Ron's? My coloring is also quite a bit different from my mother's even though she had brunette hair when I was growing up. But her skin tones are entirely different (think creamy) and she's got lovely green-hazel eyes.

I'm quite yellow and when you put me next to Kent I look like I am severely jaundiced. We made for a good color contrast challenge in our wedding photographs.