Monday, April 18, 2011

Ow

I bought some new brown shoes with a small heel. As you can see, they aren't extreme shoes and in fact they have some sort of comfort padding in them. Generally I avoid round toed shoes because I have long toes but these seemed OK and they were fairly inexpensive. They also filled a gap in my shoe wardrobe.

The first time I wore them, I didn't put on hose or knee highs and I had a big blister on the bottom of my foot plus some hot spots. I figured they'd be OK if I wore some sort of sock or knee highs so I wore them yesterday as I traveled to Arkansas.

Boy was I wrong. Each foot has a blister on a toe, both blisters ruptured and the one on my right foot bled.

Ouch

This is not a good way to start my three weeks away from home. I put on my other pair of dress shoes in the Atlanta airport but they rubbed those blisters horribly enough that I was hobbling like an old lady. I ended up buying a pair of leather flip flops which I don't want just so I could finish this trip without wearing my slippers out in public. To top things off, those flip flops rub the tops of my feet--I guess I traded one point of pain for another.

I wish I had nice, normal feet without narrow heels, long toes and high arches. Buying shoes is just no fun for me.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Ouch.
I have narrow heels, a second toe longer than my big toe, and very high arches. Right now I have attractively scabbed-over blisters on my heels from wearing a pair of perfectly comfortable shoes without hose last week. This is why, as I've gotten older, more of my shoes are "mules" with no backs.

edj3 said...

I have two problems with the mules: first, they tend to not stay on my feet when I need to hustle through the airport. And the second problem is worse--they aren't dressy enough for work. When we are at a client site, we have to wear business attire, not business casual. So it's pumps all the way alas.