Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The never-ending plastic wrap

After we flooded in October, 2009, we had to buy a lot of replacement items—just normal stuff like paper towel, toilet paper, soap, shampoo and plastic wrap. Some of those things ended up being OK but we didn’t get them back for months and obviously needed them sooner.

Plastic wrap falls in this category. We’d just bought a two pack of giant rolls from Costco and had only just opened the first one when we flooded. Well we’re thrifty people who save and use leftovers so we needed some when we lived in that temporary apartment. I bought this roll:



And we are still using it 17 months later.

I hate it. I hate it with the white hot passion of 10,000 suns because the cutter blade is on the outside of the package where it nicks us and tries to cut us and because the blasted stuff isn’t all that clingy. In fact it’s just clingy enough to be annoying. But I dislike waste and don’t want to throw it out. But I hate it every time I use it. I think I need permission to get rid of it. Feel free to tell me so.

6 comments:

sabrina said...

i would agree to waste it would not be great, but it is taking up space, and you hate it...so it's worth tossing the $3 awful cling(less) wrap. maybe you can donate it to some kid to use as part of their halloween costume and then it would be used for something.

Jeanne said...

I grew up washing and reusing plastic wrap. Then I decided that my sanity was worth more. Toss it.

Judith said...

Mom says pitch it - today.

FreshHell said...

I would personally be loathe to throw it out because it does seem wasteful. And, I buy the cheap stuff and the cheap stuff always has the cutter edge on the outside (to mock us? I don't know). But, it seems I'm in the minority here so throw it away if it bothers you that much. Life's too short to be angered by plastic wrap.

edj3 said...

I'm tempted to send it to you, FreshHell.

Unknown said...

That's tough, on one hand I say "I bought it, I'm not throwing it away. But on the other hand, it's super annoying. I say toss it.