Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gardeners come forth

Pay no attention to the time captions, I got messed up and had already saved the pictures with the incorrect text. The pictures start at about 10:30 AM and the last one was taken about 1PM. Obviously this is early April so we will get more sun in the patio later this summer, but never all day and never full sun in the entire patio.

What can I grow that we can eat? I have grown basil, thyme, rosemary and some flowers too, although none of the true sun piggies. Impatiens do really well in among the ivy. But I want tomatoes, dammit, or something like that. Is it a hopeless dream? Am I doomed to disappointment and failure?

4 comments:

FreshHell said...

Unless you can hoist a grow bag (you can grow tomatoes upside down in a bag) high up on a post (and keep squirrels, etc from eating them), I'd say you don't have enough sun to grow vegetables. Tomatoes need at least 6-8 hrs of sustained sunlight to grow fruit. Focus on shade plants and find a good local vegetable market/stand for homegrown tomatoes and basil, etc.

edj3 said...

Even though I can grow basil? I've done it the last couple of years here; I was initially surprised it did well but it did. Of course I might have chased the sun a bit with the pots.

Yeah squirrels. They love my patio. I hate them more than I hate the plastic wrap.

FreshHell said...

If you can grow basil, keep doing it. I doubt you'll have luck with tomatoes.

I am a squirrel fan but I don't have any on my property because of the patrolling cats.

KD said...

I think you could grow spinach and lettuce. I've been experimenting with location and sunlight and find that both are very forgiving. PLUS they love cooler weather so you could plant now. Sow them over a number of weeks and you can have salad all summer long. Throw in some chives and parsley, too.

I am growing arugula for the first time this year. Learned today that you don't really need to thin them, and I can see now that I've probably not needed to thin my leaf lettuce either. So with my later plantings I'll make note of this and try to eek out of each plant as much life as I can.

Since you've been able to grow basil, I think tomatoes could work. Maybe a smaller variety like grape tomatoes would be more forgiving. The more sunlight the better, so if you can do the hanging plant then go for it. We've a neighbor that is using hanging gardens for every sort of vine -- tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and peppers! Less production per plant on average, but who cares? At least they are producing, and that is the goal.