Friday, April 24, 2009

Best piece of furniture ever

A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law Ardis offered us the armoire you see here. I think she wasn’t entirely ready to pass it on but we took her up on that offer so fast we made her head spin. We used it in our guest room in Crush House in Kansas City, where held my doll house supplies and some of my sewing things.

Here in Boston it does far more than that. Let me show you the wonders of this armoire assisted by my kitties. This armoire is so useful to us that if I had Kent's mad skills with Gimp, I'd have put a halo or at least some sort of heavenly light all around every picture I took of it today.

First, the closet part of the armoire is our coat closet. We rotate out the lightweight coats during the winter and reverse the process come spring. I also store my yoga mats in here, you might be able to see one just behind the blur that is Wally.

The bottom drawer holds my patterns plus the materials for the next project. You already know Wally likes to help me sew, and he is just showing his interest here.


Next is the drawer that holds our kitchen tea towels. Kent’s grandmother made a set for each of her grandchildren when they got married, and from the looks of them, Kent’s first wife never touched them. I love them and will be really sad when they finally turn into holey rags.


The next drawer contains our essentials for surviving Boston winters: hats and gloves, lots of both. I don’t think we’ll move those anywhere come warm weather, partly because there’s really no other place for them to go.


The top two drawers hold two sets of towels each. We brought just six sets altogether so we can rotate our towels and also have towels for the rare overnight guest.



Finally the top of the armoire is Wally’s personal space. I included these pictures even though they are blurry, because he was rolling all around up there while I took the rest of the pictures. In fact I thought he might just roll right off. I finally gave in and used the flash for the last picture, and of course then he stopped moving.




No comments: