Sunday, November 9, 2008

Neglected, overlooked or forgotten recipes

I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this. I'll find a recipe and go nuts over it for a few weeks, maybe a few months and then it will just fall out of rotation. Then I forget about it. Well I went through my recipe box the other day (quick aside, do people even use recipe boxes any more?) looking for something to make since I was bored by the usual suspects. I got a nice little trip down memory lane and rediscovered a couple of favorites.

For example, I have a recipe from my mother that's a chicken, rice and swiss cheese casserole. It's really fast to make since I tend to steam a big batch of rice every week or so and also tend to keep baked chicken on hand. All that's left then is shred the cheese, saute an onion and mushrooms, add a few herbs and a dash of sherry and bake it.

Another yummy favorite also from my mother, and one that works even for people who aren't curry fans is a curry-glazed chicken dish that uses a mild curry powder with honey and Dijon mustard. It's so tasty and quick to make.

I also found yet another recipe from her that's sort of a vegetable quiche, but made with Bisquick. Did you know Bisquick now has a low fat version? I altered that recipe quite a bit by substituting diced cooked chicken for the broccoli and also adding in sauted mushrooms and onions. It's like a chicken pot pie and it turned out really well.

Finally for those of you with Joy of Cooking on your bookshelves, I made the Almond Thumbprint Cookies (in my version, it's on page 836) and did a nutritional analysis of it on Calorie Count. The recipe makes 36 cookies and each cookie is just 59 calories. Now that's a guilt-free treat in my book.

3 comments:

Kalea said...

I don't have them in a box, but I have a bag of recipe cards, written in my mother's hand, that I go through when I, too, get tired of the same old recipes.

It's a real trip down memory lane for me since my mother has been gone for almost 20 years.

Hooray for low calorie cookies, as long as they still taste like a sweet treat.

sabrina said...

i think some of those usual suspects need to make into my recipe box. i have a recipe cabinet, since i love cookbooks and dislike (i've come to like more) cooking.

anything fast and easy should be sent this way:)

Judith said...

Coat boneless pork chops with small amount Dijon mustard. Coat with crumbs, any kind, Panko probably wouldn't work too well.

Broil close to heat for about 7 minutes per side.