Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Laundry, quarters and cats

Doing laundry here at 127 Saint Botolph Street reminds me of when I lived on Central Street in Kansas City. I worked for a small company that didn’t offer direct deposit but actually handed us paychecks. Every pay day I’d cash my check and get a roll of quarters for laundry.

We do much the same thing here except that with direct deposit, getting quarters takes a little more effort. We hoard our quarters, and when needed, Kent runs across the street to the Laundromat to get change from their change machines. With the large capacity washer and dryer, we can usually get by with two loads of laundry a week. By the way, if you haven’t done laundry in pay machines recently, costs have gone up a bit. To wash one load costs $1.50, and drying also costs $1.50. So each complete load takes 12 quarters.

Kent warned me that when he did laundry, the clothes didn’t get entirely dry even on the hottest setting. So far I hadn’t experienced that, but yesterday I pushed the load limit and ended up with some damp items.

We use a washable duvet cover on the bed which works well here while most of our belongings are still in storage. Chloe has always loved one specific spot on the bed. She creates a kitty-sized divot in the featherbeds and leaves behind massive amounts of cat fur. In Kansas City I would vacuum the bedspread, but since the washer and dryer here are quite large, I decided to wash the cover when I washed our sheets and a light blanket. I also needed to wash a load of light/white clothes. Altogether I estimated I had two loads of laundry, with the sheets and the duvet cover going in one, and everything else going in the other.

However, the duvet cover came unsnapped in the dryer and swallowed the sheets. So that load was not entirely dry. I separated the sheets from the duvet cover and gave them about five more minutes which was enough for them. But I didn’t have enough quarters to continue drying the duvet cover, plus the blanket and light/white clothes that were already washed and waiting their turn. I brought the duvet cover up to the apartment and draped it over Kent’s office chair by the window AC unit. Wally decided that was the perfect hiding spot for a small yellow kitty.

No comments: