Monday, April 2, 2018

Big 12 12K race before I forget

I won an entry into the Big 12 12K run through work—the race had three lengths: one mile, 5K and 12K. I could have also run the mile before running the 12K part but since I’ve been training for a half marathon, that race didn’t work into my training plan.

The weather was lovely that morning. Well it was sunny. Also cold and also pretty darn windy. Runners were encouraged to wear their school’s colors, and while I couldn’t find any Jayhawk-specific stuff, I did wear KU blue. You can see I’m also using magnetic holders for my bib. I got tired of poking holes in my good running gear so got these from Amazon. They worked really well.

This route was incredibly hilly and that’s saying something because I run hills all the time. But these were pretty steep, especially the last two miles of the race which was nearly all uphill. 



In this photo at the very end of the race, you can see I’m concentrating really hard. I was mortally afraid I’d catch my toe on one of those carpets that were covering the wires and go tumbling. Fortunately, I didn’t.

All in all, I’m pleased with how I ran. I maintained an average page of 8:57 per mile and came in fourth in my age group. The winner in my age group ran it in 57 minutes!





No comments: