Thursday, June 26, 2014

For a dear friend

My friend S has lived in the US since she was 14 (she's now somewhere in her early 30s but I couldn't tell you her exact age mostly because I don't know it). She was born in Saudia Arabia to parents who are Indian but really has lived here most of her life. After a really long slog full of insane bureaucracy, she's now a citizen.

I wasn't able to go to her citizenship party but I did make her a bag. I picked denim because it's a quintessential American fabric to my way of thinking, and I used a wild, brightly colored tie-dyed fabric on the inside. No, I don't think tie-dye is Indian but when I think of Indian fabric, I do think of very brightly colored fabrics. Here's how it turned out:



I'm so thrilled for her and so honored to call her friend.

No comments: