Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How do you store your knives?

Years and years ago, I was at my aunt and uncle's house with my children and noticed that my aunt and uncle stored their cutting knives on a magnetic strip attached to the wall, under a kitchen cabinet. I thought that was a very clever way to store knives; I've always detested just tossing them into a drawer where they rattle around and bang against each other, getting duller and duller. I equally detest those nasty butcher block holders because they take up so much room on the counter. Plus I'm not convinced they are particularly good for knives either since the knives generally rest with their sharp sides against the wood. So once I got home, I bought my own magnetic strip and have used one to store my knives ever since.

Unfortunately, our house, while practically perfect in every way, won't accommodate the magnetic strip for knife storage. You see, we have tiles on the back splash where you'd normally install the magnetic strip. Kent is pretty sure if we tried to install the screws used to hold the magnetic strip, the tiles would crack.

So I had to find another way to store knives, one that didn't involve a butcher block or a drawer. Here's the solution:



It's a block of wood with a big magnet inside, and then there are two pieces of acrylic (I think) on the outside of the two big sides of the block. I wish this were smaller but the footprint is not as bad as a butcher block. Plus the sharp parts of the knives don't touch anything.

5 comments:

Jolo said...

I use a butcher's block but store them blade up.

Magpie said...

we have a whole drawer devoted to knives - but they're all cleverly slotted into a few things like this: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/cutleryandmorecom/bamboo-in-drawer-knife-storage-tray-p128427?gclid=CM3JwILF-rUCFUWd4AodZ2UALA

Magpie said...

also, you can drill into tile - but you need the right kind of drill bit...

Anonymous said...

I've got the terrible butcher block, but it's a great improvement over the drawer of danger!

edj3 said...

Maggie, I'd hoped to use something like your drawer solution but we don't actually have enough drawers for that. And Kent knew about the proper kinds of drill bits but preferred not to try to drill the tile. He feared they'd crack anyway and then we'd have holes and cracks.