Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paparazzi

If you and I are friends on Facebook, then you saw a couple of new pictures of me on Sunday. There's a reason for the new pictures. Kent got some new camera lenses last week and has a sweet new camera body coming later this week. Plus he's taking a photography class. Those pictures were for assignments he had to turn in last night.

He's taken classes before; first when he was an undergrad and more recently just a couple of years ago he found some great online classes that he enjoyed a lot. But what's been missing is a chance for him to get his work critiqued by someone who is knowledgeable about photography in general and what makes for good shots specifically.

This photo on the left is my favorite picture of Kent, hands down. He took it using a timer or a remote (forget which, sorry). What I've always loved about the photo is the way the lighting works on his face, plus the contrast of his polished jacket, shirt and glasses with the slight scruff on his face. I've wanted a similar shot of me (minus the scruff, obviously) ever since.


Last spring he gave it a try but I didn't care for the results. That picture is fine in technical terms but it doesn't have the same look his does. So he tried again on Sunday. This picture on the right is closer to his but isn't quite there yet.

On the left, I'm doing my best Vala Mal Doran imitation. We have been enjoying watching old Star Gate episodes; she's one of our favorite characters and according to Kent is a lot like me.



And finally he shot this picture Sunday night too, but had to wait and wait until the sun cooperated and came out from behind a cloud. I am not sure if that was part of the assignment or just how he wanted the picture to be. I will say the wine was pretty tasty, although I didn't get to drink any until after he'd gotten enough shots.

5 comments:

Kent J said...

Having a beautiful wife makes it easy to be a good photographer.

Jeanne said...

I like the head shot with the biggest smile!

edj3 said...

Then you'd like Vala Mal Doran!

Joybells said...

You're both beautiful.

Magpie said...

i love that last picture - you look so happy and relaxed.