Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't look back

A quick round up of all that’s been going on because I am alive despite the lack of posting.

First, we closed on the sale of our condo in Boston. I’ve kept mum about the whole thing for fear that something would go wrong and the sale would fall through. Thankfully that wasn’t the case and we closed yesterday. We’re ecstatic, although I’ve had several friends on Facebook tell me they will miss my stories about the misdeeds of the Ferals and Nasties. Gotta say, I won’t, not one little bit.

I’m utterly overwhelmed at work—love the work itself, but there’s just so much of it. And I’m not the only one. Everyone in my larger work group has just flat out crushing workloads. Finding the work/life balance is really hard, and it’s been exacerbated by my lungs.

Yes – lung issues are back and with a vengeance. Last weekend when we flew to Boston, the baggie I use to hold my meds was bigger than my 3-1-1 bag. Crazy. I’m on three different inhalers, plus assorted other drugs all designed to help me breathe. Rest assured, I’m staying on top of it, seeing my doctor and taking all my drugs. I suspect my work building is contributing to the situation, since it’s being renovated while we are in it. Right now, four of the six floors on my side are under construction i.e. they are hard hat areas. There’s a lot of construction debris in the air and I am not the only one with asthma who’s struggling.

My most visible symptom is coughing. I sound like I have the worst smoker’s cough ever even though I’ve never smoked. I spent a lot of time last week assuring my co-workers that no, I’m not sick, and no, they won’t catch anything from me. I’m not sure they believed me. One woman happened to be walking by my cube when I was in the middle of a coughing fit and said “Oh, you’re the one with the bad cough!” Yes, I’m the one.

I got a pneumonia vaccine on Wednesday. My doctor is still lobbying for me to get a flu shot but I’m not all that interested. I’ve never had the flu in my life, not once. Heck, I don’t even get colds. What frustrates me about flu shots is that they’re sort of inexact and you have to get one every year and hope that that particular vaccine matches up with the flu variety running around that year. So to me it seems like a crap shoot for something I’ve never had anyway. Of course, now that I’ve posted this I’m sure to get the flu. If that happens, you may all say you told me so. 

No comments: