Monday, September 24, 2012

A matter of taste

Shortly after Kent and I started dating, we started cooking together a lot. We love doing that, especially when we try out new recipes and then deconstruct them afterwards. Part of our foodie ways included trying all sorts of higher-quality versions of the staples we use every day. Some were organic, some were imported, and all cost more.

But we’re not willing to pay for something just because a so-called expert says it's a better item. For us, taste is king and if we can taste the difference, then we might spend the money.

So we’ve tried imported Irish butter (didn’t care for it any more than Costco butter), all manners of organic fruits and vegetables (can’t tell the difference and according to this recent study, the health benefits aren’t all that), organic milk from a local farm (AMAZING difference but the milk comes in glass bottles and require a significant deposit – storing and returning them was a huge pain for as little milk as we drink), and free range chickens (another HUGE difference but man they are so expensive).

This week I added another item to the “worth the money” list: canned corn. Specifically the Whole Foods store brand 365 canned corn. Folks, it’s got texture and taste. I use corn in my spicy vegetable soup and I’ve tried name brand, store brand and frozen and this was the first batch where the corn was an active, welcome participant in the flavors. Now I’m wondering if I would like my corn chowder recipe, which has been relegated to the “don’t bother cooking” category, if I made it with this corn. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something delicious I've discovered this summer are these amazing multi-colored, multi-shaped peppers I saw at one grocery store and then got in our vegetable box. Much more interesting in taste and crunch than green peppers (although they're not hot), and prettier, too.

edj3 said...

I like those too, they are tasty and add such good color.

Magpie said...

Canned corn, huh. Who'd a thunk it?

We get milk/eggs/butter delivered - partly because it cuts down on the grocery store trips (which is a boon to household harmony) and partly because the quality is great. We go through 4 1/2 gallons of milk in glass bottles a week. The girl child is totally spoiled; she will no longer drink the little cardboard boxes of milk at school because it doesn't taste good.