Friday, August 10, 2012

A creature of habit

Last Saturday morning, during my regular weekly phone call to my mother, she said she’d finally realized what a creature of habit I am. And she’s right. Once I get a routine going that works well for me, I rarely deviate from it. Case in point is when I call my mother: every Saturday morning at 8 AM mountain time, unless one of us is out of town. She tells me she’s not sure she exists any other time J

I do the same thing with working out, household chores and even things like when I take my prescriptions (always in the morning with my first mug of hot water, before I drink my two cups of coffee). If I get off track, then I forget to do whatever it was because it didn’t happen during the allotted time. Or maybe it’s that those things don’t exist either!

I have a new doctor in Kansas now, and I think I picked a good one. I prefer my doctors to be direct without being bossy and to work with me instead of dictating from on high what I should do to take care of myself. So far, that’s exactly how he’s been. I’d run out of my asthma drugs and was (not so secretly) hoping it had gone away. Well it didn’t just go away and in fact my peak flow readings were sliding down again. When we talked through this at my appointment, my doctor looked at me and said, “You’ve got asthma, let’s get you back on your meds. Or would you rather wait until you’re at 50% again?” Well, no. No I would not, so I’m back on them again. Which is why my habits are top of mind again. I have to remember to take the drugs, because let’s face it, they don’t work just sitting there on my desk.

Also at least two of the cats have died again. It’s gorgeous in Kansas today and I have the windows open. I think the cats are enjoying the breeze as much as I am. Or maybe the fresh air killed them? All I know is they'll be miraculously revived when the canned food gets opened.

No cats were harmed in the taking of this photo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the thing about asthma -- and probably over things, too -- when the meds work, you feel like you don't have it. When you stop taking them, though, you realize that you really do. :( I would never survive on a desert island.