Monday, July 23, 2012

Slacker tomato plants

We have two tomato plants. I got heirlooms and planted them in mid-May, the same time I got the pepper plants. And they've grown; in fact, they've grown quite tall.


But that's all they've done. Here it is 2/3 of the way through July and we have seen no blossoms--until now and I'm not entirely convinced these things actually are blossoms:



Compare those puny results with our pepper plants:





Now go over and see what Freshhell's garden has produced (scroll down to the bottom of that entry). Seriously, tomatoes, you need to step up and produce or I'm gonna cut you down and use those stakes for the pepper plants.

6 comments:

Joybells said...

I'll be interested to hear whether your tomato plants respond to your threats!

edj3 said...

Ha! Are you saying my tomato management skills leave something to be desired?

Judith said...

Tomato plants don't set on tomatoes when it is as hot as it's been there. That's probably part of your problem. Also, they look leggy - did i you put them in full sun?

edj3 said...

Well they get sun from noon on. Our balcony faces due west. I knew they wouldn't get blossoms in this heat but late May and most of June wasn't this bad. Although its bad now.

Joybells said...

I'm not impugning your tomato management skills at all! I'm thinking that heirloom tomatoes are probably set in their ways, and would be loath to feel threatened by, well, threats. Then again, I can only grow weeds, so what the hell do I know!

Anonymous said...

Without a little research, I'm not sure why they aren't producing fruit. Those are definitely flowers (or baby flowers)but...tomatoes like a lot of sun. All sun all the time. The pot might need to be bigger but a happy tomato plant will grow in anything. You might need to find a fertilizer specifically for tomatoes. Or, just grow what grows best. Skip the tomatoes and buy them from local growers. Of course, you've only just moved there so you may want to experiment next year. Your peppers look very happy!!