Monday, June 18, 2012

It was the best of times

Well no, it wasn’t the worst of times but the last four days sure were a study in contrast. All day I’ve been thinking of it as a plus/minus trip. It started with a minus when I set the alarm clock for 3 . . . PM.

On the plus side, I woke up at 3:50 and hollered at Kent that we needed to haul ass, no time to waste. And we did, we made to the airport and through security with only minor stress.

Then our flight had mechanical problems and ended up being delayed three hours. At one point we were positive we wouldn’t make it to Ben’s dinner that night but on the plus side, we did.

First we got caught up in crazy traffic, drove too far to the wrong Marriott and then backtracked to our real hotel. Anyway—we did get there, you saw the pictures from the dinner and it was a wonderful evening. After a celebratory lunch on Friday, we dropped him off at the airport, visited Ikea one more time, and got to Boston in time to have appetizers and drinks outside. all plusses.

Saturday was good, although cold and dreary. But that’s just Boston and so I don’t count it as a minus although it's certainly not a plus. The Ferals have been rattling their sabers again, and escalated on Saturday and they most definitely are nothing but big honking minus signs.

Sunday morning I woke up to an email from Delta telling me that my 6:30 PM flight that night was already two hours delayed (minus). I knew that didn’t bode well for me getting home Sunday so I rebooked to an earlier flight that took me through Detroit, and then we had brunch with our friends Fiona and David. Seeing them was almost as big of a plus as seeing Ben.

The trip home was unnecessarily painful—while I got the upgrade on both flights (plus), I didn’t have a seat on the second flight (minus) and almost didn’t get one, and one flight was delayed enough that I didn't get dinner (minus).

I got home (plus), only to find out that our cat sitter had locked the door from the apartment to the garage (yikes) and I didn’t have that key (big minus). I called her and thankfully she was awake (plus) and could drive over (huge relief, I didn’t want to stay in a hotel). After she left, I petted the kitties and discovered one of them had puked on the bed. Minus.

And then this morning, all I wanted was my morning cereal but the milk had spoiled. Minus.

How was your weekend? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Complicated! (Yours, not mine so much --)