Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A disclaimer

My former mother-in-law once gave me a necklace that appeared to be made from all the left-over thread I’d ever used to make oboe reeds. It was colorful, fluffy and not at all to my taste. While I appreciated her generosity, I wasn’t sure what to do with it because I knew I’d never wear it. I ended up tying it around the arm of a dining room chair and let the cats play with it.

Similarly, I have friends whose mothers-in-law either make or buy them gifts they find completely unsuitable. They are grateful for the thoughtfulness but don’t know what to do with the actual gifts.

So here’s my disclaimer: if I ever make or buy you something you would never in a million years get for yourself or even consider wanting for yourself, feel free to ditch whatever it is. Unless it’s my hot fudge sauce in which case (a) what’s wrong with you? And (b), give it back.

I'm posting this because in the last year or so I've made a lot of gifts. And I don't ever want the recipient to feel as though he/she is now saddled with a completely inappropriate gift for the rest of his or her life. That's just silly. Gifts from me are freely given and once given, do what you will with them. 

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

You gave me a scarf I wear all the time and a necklace I wear rarely but like to hang from things and look at (especially this time of year).

Kent J said...

FREE SHIPPING on all returned hot fudge sauce!

Judith said...

You didn't make it but I l-o-v-e the steamer you gave me when you were here. Use it 2-3x/week at least. Thanks.

KD said...

Maaaaajor compliments come my way when I wear my pink scarf, feel super special in my apron, and I get a fun reminder of YOU. Perfect gifts.

edj3 said...

Aw you guys. I really wasn't fishing for compliments--I just really don't want people I've sewn things for to feel trapped by those items, esp if they don't care for them or the fit is off.