Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I *heart* Tim Gunn

I’m reading A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style by Tim Gunn and am absolutely enjoying the heck out of this book. Here’s a sample sentence from the chapter called Diagnosing the Common Closet that rang utterly true for me and made me laugh out loud as well:
Clothes do not exist to humiliate their owners. Please do not force garments into performing psychological tasks for which they were not designed (page 57).
I don’t know about you, but I do indeed force my clothing into the role of psychological torture devices—I worry that the color is wrong, or it makes me look fat or old or whatever. I’m letting the tail wag the dog. My clothes should be things I wear and feel fantastic in, not things I got on sale or thought maybe they’d work if only I *fill in the blank here*

This is all part and parcel of my determination to have far fewer clothes that also fit me as perfectly as possible in colors that are amazing for me. Of course I have a ton of doubts regarding my ability to execute any of that, but I'm sure going to try.

UPS delivered some of my fabrics yesterday and the serger I ordered is out for delivery today. Sewing knits still scares the snot out of me but the serger and all the online tutorials and articles I've found will help a lot. Wish me luck anyway, I think I will need it.

No comments: