Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sew busy

Get it? Yeah, I know, that was pretty lame. But in the last week, I've really gotten a lot of sewing projects done. I made a blouse and a sundress for Alison, a cargo shirt and a pair of shorts for Eliot and a jumper for my great-niece (!) Valentine. Next up are a pair of aprons for friends who just got married and want to cook together the way Kent and I do, a pair of bathrobes for my friend Fiona and her new husband plus a surprise for my BFF, Kerry. She reads this blog so I'm not saying what I'm making neener, neener!

But I couldn't post these pictures until after my son and daughter-in-law left this morning for a vacation; they also read my blog and I didn't want them to see what I'd made Alison for her birthday.

Alison's favorite color is pink, so I chose pink fabrics. The top on the left is barely pink and has the outlines of white daisies all over it. The dress on the right is a pink seersucker sundress. I should have taken a picture of the back of the dress but I forgot.





Here's the camp shirt and shorts I made for Eliot. You probably can't see the buttons on the shirt very well but they are made of coconut and have a little design carved in them. Matching plaids isn't my strong point but I did pretty well with the shirt, so overall I'm pleased.









My oldest niece, Beth, had wanted to paint the baby's room an intense pink which is why I picked out this corduroy. I know people tend to give newborn and infant size clothing as gifts--talking three and six month sizes--and also go overboard with girl clothes. So I made a bigger size and think Valentine should be able to wear this in the winter, maybe even right around Valentine's Day in honor of her name. I looked for a heart applique to put on the dress but had no luck. They were either too small or the wrong color. So she gets a pink daisy.

2 comments:

FreshHell said...

Wow! I'm sew impressed! Ha. Dusty sews things but hasn't tried her hand at clothes yet. Hasn't used an actual pattern yet, mainly because I don't have the slightest idea what to do with one. She's taking a sewing class in a couple weeks which I hope will teach her some basics. I am utterly hopeless beyond hemming.

edj3 said...

I was 10 when I took a class which probably saved my mother lots of aggravation (she is very good with the sewing machine). But yeah I am glad I know how and it's usually fun for me too.