Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Imaginary friends?

Last night Kent and I got to meet up with Jeanne and her family at Logan—they had a long layover between flights so we took advantage of the time to hang out for a bit. I did bring my camera and I did remember to have Kent take pictures but they all turned out horrible; they were either blurry or else both Jeanne and I looked like we had what she calls indigestion faces. You'll have to take my word for it that despite no photographic evidence, Kent and I had a great time.

I hadn’t seen Jeanne since Moby Dick was a minnow and of course Kent had never met her. We had fun exchanging text messages about who was imaginary while they collected their bags and went through Customs. My favorite line was from Jeanne’s daughter who said they were indeed real and we’d know it by their unicorns.

Anyway, I'm glad for selfish reasons that she's back. I've missed her blog entries.

4 comments:

FreshHell said...

Sigh. Jealous. One day maybe I'll get to meet her (and you!) for real, too.

edj3 said...

She's even more fun than I remembered from high school. And yes, I would really like to meet you face to face.

Harriet said...

I'm jealous too, even though (because?) I've been lucky enough to meet her three times in the last months.

Jeanne said...

It is the biggest compliment I can give to say that after getting up at 7:30 am London time to get on an 8-hour flight, we were all glad that the connecting flight was delayed.
I tend to make even more indigestion faces when over-excited. And I tend to get that way when I meet imaginary friends. As Steve Martin says in the movie LA Story, that's "the fool's version of being interesting."
What I loved most, though, is that you really can know a person through their writing. Being there in the flesh...it's not so different. We did all enjoy meeting Kent, of course, as we talk to him less in the virtual world.