Thursday, June 16, 2011

Trip like I do

Pretty sure I mentioned in my blog about the sales clerk who told me very solemnly that cats see fairies. At the time I laughed silently but now I'm beginning to wonder, maybe she was right.

Last night Wally spent most of the night on the window ledge in our bedroom. That window looks out into a concrete well much like you’d see in a basement window. To see anything at all, you have to crane your neck and look up through the iron grating. Well Wally wasn’t looking up, he was looking out at a concrete wall almost all night long (he did come over for petting a couple of times).

This morning, Eddie joined him and they just stared out into the well, sort of like how I always pictured the Cat in the Hat kids stared outside waiting for their mother. Remember them? Sally and what was his name? I forget and it doesn’t matter anyway.

I even went and looked myself, but there was nothing out there. Unless my cats really do see fairies.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Haven't you ever been reading in bed and become aware that the cat on the bed with you has lifted his head and has been staring fixedly into space for the past few minutes? And you look, but there's nothing there? Eleanor says cats see ghosts.

edj3 said...

She may be right; clearly they are seeing things neither of the humans can see. What's really hilarious is when they go ZOOMING around the place, as if they were chasing something only we can't see it.

Jeanne said...

Our friend, former housemate, and the person who gave us custody of the cats when we split up the household, used to call that "tails on fire." Sometimes a cat's tail just suddenly catches on fire, and it scares him so bad he has to run frantically through the house. Metaphorically, anyway.