Thursday, June 9, 2011

Some like it hot

But I don’t. Not when I’m in a yoga class that is.

I got an all-you-can-eat pass to a local yoga studio—$90 for as many yoga classes as I care to take between Memorial Day and Labor Day. This studio indicates whether a class is warmer than usual by describing it as heated or hot (apparently hot is really hot and heated is just a little hot). It’s also relevant to mention that the studio is on the second floor with mostly windows along one side; the windows face the sun and only one tiny pane opens. I've gone to a couple of classes and I've enjoyed them a lot.

Last night I went to the 5:30 class and to my utter surprise not only was the AC not on, the teacher was not all that interested in turning on the overhead fans or the two teeny tiny window fans. She finally relented on the fans when someone essentially begged/ordered her to turn them on. Otherwise we had no ventilation and no cooling. It was unusually sunny and warm in Boston yesterday so the room was broiling hot.

I asked her after class if that was how she’d be running the class all summer. Hey it’s her class, she can do as she pleases. But I need to know because that was nausea-inducing heat to me and I don’t want to go back if that’s how she likes it. She didn’t really give a solid answer one way or the other, so in the interest of not hurling, I don’t think I’ll go to her class again.

2 comments:

Jen Shear said...

heat can be brutal and you don't want to be worrying about barfing while working out. We have a bootcamp class in an unairconditioned gym on Friday's and the endless "burpies" we have to do often make me want to do more than just burp.

edj3 said...

Jen it was really unpleasant. I had to take child's pose several times so I wouldn't throw up. I didn't even want my hands to touch each other. Mostly I'm bummed because that class is the only one in the middle of the week I have a chance to get to. Oh well :-(