Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kent majored in chemistry in college, which I’ve always thought was an odd choice for him—odd not because of his ability but more because I see his interests as being so much broader than one branch of science. But he picked chemistry.


The reason is kind of interesting to me. I am probably getting some of the details wrong but in high school, he wasn’t allowed into AP chemistry. When he tried to talk with the teacher to find out why she wouldn’t let him in, the bottom line was that she didn’t think he could do the work because he wasn’t simultaneously enrolled in an AP math class. So in a way, his degree was a great big ol’ Bronx cheer at her.

I’ve done similar things. I didn’t take the SAT or ACT before going to college myself. I was admitted because I was 29 so the Dean of Admissions just went ahead and admitted me. I even asked him about the SAT, and he said yeah sure it would be a good idea to take it. But I couldn’t see any value in spending four hours of my life plus whatever it cost then to find out I was great with words and less so with math. In fact the only downside was that I couldn’t get into the college Honors program until I’d taken some basic 101 classes. Even then, I wasn’t “supposed” to get in but I am very persistent. Once I got in one Honors class and aced it, all of a sudden I was in the program.

Sometimes I think being told no only spurs me on to greater efforts.

Edited to add: I completely forgot how my singing career got started—and it’s another case of being told no. Because I was an oboist, the high school choir teacher who also directed the musicals always wanted me to play in the pit orchestra. I did so my sophomore year, but two years later I really wanted to be in the musical. I was in our top choir and also in a couple of vocal ensembles that competed successfully at district and state competitions so I thought it was appropriate for me to audition. But afterwards, Mrs. Williams told me that she wouldn’t cast me in the musical because she wanted me to play in the pit orchestra again. That just didn’t sit well with me, so I went across town and played in our rival high school’s pit orchestra for their spring musical.

That led me to pursue singing throughout my Army career, at church and as a free lance singer for the next 15 or so years.

Yeah, that’s definitely a situation where being told no just made me more determined.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

I like that about you. And Kent.

Harriet said...

That is a mindset I can completely understand!

lemming said...

A good friend briefly dated a chap who got a full scholarship to college on condition that he major in Chemistry. He did, earned straight As in said subject, but he double majored in music, and that's what he studied in grad school.

I enjoyed high school Chemistry, I think because it made more sense than trying to diagram parabolas.

College advisors often make no sense.