Wednesday, June 29, 2011

And that's a wrap

I’m getting laid off on Friday, it looks like. Not sure of all the details, the paperwork is getting emailed to me. Things are complicated by me traveling back tomorrow and getting to Boston on Friday—the others who are getting laid off won’t be at work that day. So I’ll be in a sort of no-man’s land.

I feel mostly relieved. I won’t get into details and I won’t engage in snit-fittery but mostly yeah, I’m relieved.

Kent pointed out that my new sewing cabinet (that replaces the one that was ruined in the Great Water Episode of 2009) gets here Friday. Once we get back from our planned and mostly paid for vacation to England, I will have time to sew again. And that’s convenient because my niece just had her first child, a girl, yesterday. And I’ve hardly sewn anything for Eliot at all.

We already know how to budget, we are champs at that so I’m not freaked out about money. Plus I won’t be spending $100-$130 a week in gas plus $6.50 a day in tolls to get to Portsmouth PLUS holy cow I will not spend three hours of my day sitting on my butt in a car.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll be bummed. Right now I’m just kind of glad.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I can see why it would be a bit of a relief. Any job that ends with a trip to Hawaii has been worth it in some interesting way, and boy do I know you won't miss the commute. There will be other jobs, but I hope you don't get too much of a break before the next one comes along.

sabrina said...

it'll be good to get to spend more time at home than on the road:) yay for sewing! i'm going to be practicing sewing in a straight line and then am going to take a level 2 class to learn a few tips and tricks of sewing;)

FreshHell said...

Well, it seems weird and inappropriate to say I'm happy for you but I am for all the reasons you've mentioned. There are other jobs. I hope you can enjoy your sabbatical.

lemming said...

I'm not sure how I missed this, and I know that spending fewer hours in transit and away from home is good, but I am still so sad. Hugs, please moan a bit and, well, all my best.