Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Do you wear slippers?

Or have comfy clothes you change into when you get home from work?

Going back to Kansas City was a lot like that—comfy, comforting, known, familiar and soothing. Having never really felt all that attached to a place and having never returned to a place after I’ve left it, I just didn’t know what to expect from the weekend. OK yes I did return to Cape Girardeau to visit my folks after I graduated from high school but I didn’t choose to live there nor did I choose where my family lived. You get my point.

Kent pointed out that you spend a lot of time in your car in Kansas City, and he’s right. The town isn’t all that densely populated and it’s very spread out. It’s 24 miles from the airport to our old house in Midtown, and you’d swear the airport is in Nebraska. But there’s no traffic, at least by Boston standards, and it’s not all that crazy either.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think KC is perfect and I'm not romanticizing the town. The summers are crazy hot and the winters are really cold and I’m not all that fond of the humidity. Oh and the utter lack of public transportation is just stupid. But it still felt like home which was a surprise to this nomad.

3 comments:

FreshHell said...

I think home is where you're most at home, most comfortable. No place is perfect but you deal with the imperfections to be "at home". I've always here - or, rather, 45 minutes down the road. Generally in the same neck of the woods. Richmond is far from perfect but I know it. I've learned to know this countryside well, too. I'm no longer afraid of driving in the pitch dark. (And, yes, there's a lot of driving here and no public transportation). I've gotten used to the driving.

And, yes, I always put on something more comfortable when I get home in the evening. But never slippers.

edj3 said...

Slippers rule. But maybe you don't have issues with dust etc like we do. Plus your kitties are indoor/outdoor. Mine tend to track litter everywhere and even though I sweep and vacuum like a fiend, it's still there waiting to get stuck to my foot. Ew.

Jeanne said...

I have never worn slippers--I like bare feet, and am forced to wear socks when it's really cold. But I did surprise myself with the depth of my affection for the place I call home, after spending one more day in a city than I'd planned. Sometimes going away shows you what's good about your life...or what's missing.