Thursday, April 28, 2011

Small town living

I’ve been in Guernsey, WY since Sunday evening. This is a small town with just over 1000 people, so the restaurant options are pretty limited and really, you don’t get different options at the different restaurants—mostly you just get different versions of the same thing. So I’ve had a hamburger every single day and frankly I’m done with hamburgers for a while. While I’m not a vegetarian, I also don’t look at meat as the point of my meal.

Monday and Tuesday, I stopped by the tiny grocery store and picked up a bean and cheese burrito to microwave for dinner. But last night I thought I’d get something from Crazy Tony’s which is half a block from my motel. I had lunch there during my visit last September so I knew it was a smoking bar/restaurant, but I figured I’d just get something to carry out.

The entrance is very close to the bar and when I walked in, there was an elderly lady at the end, an elderly man next to her (I think it was her husband), another older man and then a middle-aged man. They all swiveled around and stared at me and for a moment I wondered if I’d wandered into a bad Stephen King movie but no, they were just curious about me. They all knew for a fact that I wasn’t from around there.

I placed my order and the men kept staring. Finally I said “Gentlemen, you sure are staring a lot!” and one of them said, “Well you are a pretty woman!” I thanked them and waited for my salad, trying not to cough from the smoke. One finally said he hoped I would sit down and have a drink—I thanked him and said I just couldn’t handle the smoke.

And in fact, when I got back to my room all my clothing reeked from that short exposure. How on earth did I stand it before??

3 comments:

FreshHell said...

Second hand smoke is AWFUL. I have zero tolerance for it anymore.

edj3 said...

Me too, I mean absolutely NO tolerance any more. The program director here in WY said oh you get used to it. I said nope, I'd pass on frequenting that place, it's just awful.

Jeanne said...

I lived in a house with a smoker for all of my first 18 years and didn't notice it; in fact, I thought it sounded romantic when Iris told me I always smelled of smoke and perfume.

Now the smell bothers me a lot, and I wonder how I ever lived with it.