Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I don't know what to do

I had another post written in my head but that got put off by this morning's events. Chloe has peed on the rug again.

When she did this last fall, we took her to the vet immediately to rule out any health issues. She was fine although the vet couldn't get enough urine to run tests. She suggested that we look for ways to increase Chloe's water intake. So we got that fountain I mentioned and we started incorporating some canned food in the cats' diets.

I know she's hydrated; that's not the issue. I suspect she peed because Eddie was picking on her again. So I don't know how to solve this problem. I'm left with
four untenable options:
  • Get rid of Chloe (I can't live with an animal that pees in the house but she's completely bonded to me and I don't think she'd re-home very well)
  • Get rid of Eddie (he does bully her but he would not do well without his litter mate and honestly I don't want to get rid of him)
  • Live with the pee (uh no)
  • Or we could get rid of all rugs. That isn't very appealing either since we live on the bottom floor and the floor is quite cold.
This is awful. I used lots of Elimin-Odor on the spot but I do wonder if she's doing this elsewhere. Unlike most cats, her stuff really doesn't stink so it's hard to track down anything.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

We had a female cat who peed in the house outside the litter boxes because she was unhappy with the other cats in our house--or else they were bullying her--it's so hard to tell. I finally found the place she was mostly going, when it began to stink--under the work bench in the unfinished part of our basement, on a concrete floor. We finally had to make her live outside and in the garage, where she didn't live as long. It wasn't a good solution.

One of the things suggested to us over and over was to use Feliway spray for calming. You can order it from Foster and Smiths or other place on the internets.

Thinking back, maybe the only thing we could have done is given her a territory and kept her entirely separate from our other cats.

edj3 said...

As I told V in an email yesterday (her suggestion was to keep all kitties), I do think Chloe is peeing because Eddie is hateful to her. I spent a lot of time yesterday loving on her, which she soaked up.

As I said in the blog, her pee (and for that matter her poo too) just don't stink; the same cannot be said for the boy cats! So at least my house doesn't reek. She also won't just pee on the hard ground, she wants something very absorbent which our rug is. The wool strands are as thick as fingers and a couple of inches long.

So bye-bye rug.

Jeanne said...

If she's being bullied, it might help to get a litter box just for her. Maybe you can't keep the boys out entirely, but you can let her use it exclusively when one of you is around and they might get the idea that one thing in the condo is more hers than theirs.