Monday, March 7, 2011

For FreshHell

I didn’t used to like lentils; in my 20s I thought they tasted like dirt. It was probably because of how I cooked them—to death with almost no seasonings. Hey, we were poor and I was learning the ins and outs of cooking.

But I love them now. I have fantastic recipes for lentil soup and dhal and as of last night, I have an amazing recipe for lentils with shitake mushrooms and greens from Food & Wine. We’ve had a subscription to the magazine for probably eight years. Every now and then, we’ll stop and reevaluate if we get enough value to justify the price and the hassle of a physical magazine (remember, we live in a small space). And so far, the magazine more than pays its way.

Here’s a link to the recipe (I imported it to Springpad, which is an application I use and love): linky

I will make two changes going forward. First, I’ll cut the oil by 2/3. You just don’t need it and I don’t think we’ll miss it. Second, I think the recipe calls for too much water to cook the lentils in. So I’ll cut that down to a more normal 2:1 ratio.

Also, no I didn’t use the Swiss chard. I hate that stuff. So I used argula.

4 comments:

FreshHell said...

Thanks! I'll have to try it. I usually substitute spinach for most greens because i like very few of them.

edj3 said...

Yeah I think it just depends on what you like. I don't care for any of the bitter greens.

Forgot to add that I doubled all the seasonings and also the garlic. You can't go wrong with more garlic in my opinion.

Unknown said...

Who knows? Maybe when you are in your sixties you will learn to like other greens, sort of learning to like lentils at a different age.

edj3 said...

I think I'll have to be in my 90s or beyond with dead taste buds :P