Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Of cats and toys

I forget where I heard or read this: people who buy cat toys are wasting their money. Cats love boxes, milk bottle rings, paper bags and so on and those things are free. Too bad that one of my cats eats cardboard boxes, but they all love to play with the rest of the free stuff.

I'll come clean. We’ve also bought a few toys. I found some “mice” stuffed with something that rattles a little bit and the boys love to bat them around the house. They’ll usually end up swatting one under the file cabinet between our desks (it sits on wheels) and then they'll cry at Kent to slide his CPU to one side so they can fetch the mouse out again.

But what really cracks me up is when Eddie picks up a toy and carries around the house—meowing all the way. We can tell by the sound that he’s got something in his mouth because he can’t fully form his normal sound. Usually he’ll bring the toy to wherever we are and then drop it at our feet. That’s our sign we are supposed to pick it up and throw it so he can chase it and bring it back again.

Here's a picture of some of their toys:

4 comments:

FreshHell said...

Pokey likes to play with the Barbie paraphenalia. But he recently found a fur-covered mouse toy and has been obsessed with it ever since. He was sad when it got batted under the stove but recently reappeared. Now the children think Santa should bring him something for his stocking so against my better judgement, I'll be getting some more fur mice for him.

edj3 said...

I have an unlamented ex sister-in-law who inadvertently gave the cats their favorite toy. She gave me and Kent stuffed animals for Christmas--they were bears and one was pink, and one was tan. The pink bear got thoroughly ignored. However the brown bear got carried around from room to room and now Chloe sleeps on it. She's mashed that sucker flat.

Cats are weird.

FreshHell said...

They are. My mom had a cat once - Oberon, a bred-to-death-Burmese - who liked to walk around carrying socks in his mouth. He'd pluck them out of the hamper. It was the only thing that kept him from being completely robotic. Zero personality.

Jeanne said...

Our cats, spoiled as they are, once got a couple of mink mice, sold in Washington DC and made of former coats. Those were the best cat toys ever--I think the smell was part of the pleasure.