Sunday, October 31, 2010

How I pack

Apologies for how the size sort of hoses the page but if I don't use the extra large picture size option, you can't see the text on the pictures.

My mother was curious about how I pack, given that I use a 19" suitcase and very rarely check my bag. I will say it mostly comes down to being willing to reuse clothing and also the luck of the draw--I'm not very tall and I don't have large feet. If either were true, packing would be a lot tougher.




Edited to add my packing list for this trip (I’m wearing the italicized items on the plane):

Suitcase:
  • Suit jacket
  • Suit pants
  • Five short-sleeved tops
  • One camisole
  • One very light-weight wool sweater
  • Dress pants
  • Underwear
  • Running shorts
  • Exercise top
  • Sports bra
  • Running socks
  • Yoga pants (also sleep in them, hey I don’t sweat THAT much)
  • Sleep top
  • Running shoes
  • Black dress shoes
  • New lace up dress shoes
  • Hair dryer
  • Two brushes
  • Cosmetics
  • Shampoo etc (in the 3-1-1 bag)
  • One large scarf (like a pashmina)
  • Zip up fleece jacket for the hotel room
  • My Circa notebook
  • Small purse (empty)
  • Probably my yoga mat although I’m thinking about taking a yoga class or two there
  • Via and sweetener (this hotel gives you ONE free day of coffee--the rest cost $2 each)
  • A casual skirt for at night when I'm actually NOT on a mountain and am near the beach
  • Maybe a bathing suit. We'll see. 
Backpack:
  • Netbook
  • Kindle
  • Camera
  • All power cords
  • Baby extension cord
  • Wallet
  • Small bag for things like lip balm
  • Zune
  • Noise-canceling ear buds
  • Phone
  • Folder with boarding passes etc in it
  • Pen
  • Two granola bars
  • Probably an apple
  • Definitely carrot sticks

4 comments:

Judith said...

I am totally impressed but still don't see how all that fits in a 19" suitcase. I'll have to come watch you pack sometime. Going to Bend any time this year?

edj3 said...

Don't know yet about Bend for next year, but probably not. That program is in really good shape and I tend to get sent to the ones that either need help or are new. The Hawaii program is a new one, so that's why I've been going there so much.

I use a combination of rolling some clothing items and folding others. There's a third method called bundling but that method doesn't work as well for me as what I currently do.

Jeanne said...

I feel better now that you've revealed to me that the reason I can't pack so compactly is that I'm so tall ;-)

edj3 said...

Jeanne that is definitely part of it. I'm half a foot shorter than you are. Plus I'm guessing you don't wear size 7.5 shoes either.

Poor Kent could never take a 19" suitcase for work because he wears a 46L suit and size 11 shoes. His clothes won't physically fit in there.