Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fisher cats

I listen to the New Hampshire NPR station online in the morning. I tried listening to the Boston station since I do live here, but grew frustrated with their frequent fund raising—every other month, they hold fund raising events. Also to be honest, the morning anchor’s voice bugs the heck out of me. So I listen to the New Hampshire station instead.

At the top of the hours, they run through the call letters of all the public radio stations in New Hampshire; as you might guess it’s not a long list. And they also provide updates about the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, a minor league baseball team.

I never heard of fisher cats until I started working in New Hampshire, but the people I work with sure know about them. My coworkers had me listen to YouTube videos with the sounds of their cries and boy if I heard that sound in the middle of the night, I’d be scared. But I like the name: fisher cat. Each morning, when I hear the score updates on NPR, I smile and I always hope they won.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'd never heard of fisher cats either. The video made one sound kind of like a big bird screeching.

Kent J said...

Plus Fisher Cat is really fun to say.