Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I can see clearly now

The rain has gone. No wait, that’s the song by Johnny Nash (which I love). But I can see better first thing in the morning thanks to my new glasses.

I started wearing glasses for nearsightedness at age 12 and moved to contacts just as soon as I possibly could persuade my parents to go along.

In 2004, and following my brother who was both far blinder and far more eager than I to shed his glasses, I had Lasik done. In 2005 I got my first ever unrestricted license and that DL picture is probably the best one of me ever, bar none. I was grinning like crazy, so incredibly happy to be done with glasses. I could have had my eyes corrected to binocular visions with one eye adjusted for distance and the other eye for reading (which Doug did), but I chose not to. Any time I’d had different prescriptions in my lenses, I got incredibly nauseous so I figured I’d deal with reading issues when I got there.

I got there this year. I’m wearing +1, which are the weakest you can get. I feel quite odd having them; getting reading glasses has always seemed to be one of those you are definitely getting older milestones. No matter how disciplined I am about diet and exercise, I can’t exercise or eat my eyes back to perfect vision. I guess it could be worse, I could be both nearsighted and need reading glasses.

But it’s been great this morning reading news online and writing this blog post without strain.

No comments: