Monday, May 24, 2010

Whew

I’ve been gone three out of the last four weeks and the first crazy rush of business travel is over. I cannot tell you how glad I am the next trip has been postponed. I was scheduled to leave for Hawaii this Sunday, hold meetings Monday and Tuesday and fly back Tuesday night. In other words, I’d have spent as much time getting there and back as actually on the ground working. I find it really weird that getting to Hawaii from Boston will take about 19 hours, while getting from Kansas City to Beijing, China took 25 hours.

And I think this is the year I end up needing reading glasses. Some days, everything works pretty well, although generally my eyes struggle first thing in the morning when I’m using my Netbook. Along about midday, everything pulls together although I prefer a lot more light when I read. I used to wonder why my mother complained about it being too dark to read in my house—I get it now. But just when I’m ready to make that eye appointment, I’ll have no problems reading, I’ll thread the needle on the first try every single time and I’ll decide to wait.

If you have reading glasses, what made you go ahead and get them?

3 comments:

Judith said...

Why don't you pick up some 'readers' at Costco or elsewhere? Won't cost so much but be available when you need them. Dad, at 68, still uses those, no prescription needed, and has a pair by every place in the house he spends time - his desk, bedroom, family room, kitchen counter, bathroom, plus a pair in each car. That's a little extreme, but one pair might be worth trying.

Jeanne said...

I'm the same way with reading in dim light now, so am thinking of going to an eye doctor this summer. People keep telling me to try the reading glasses at big box stores, like Judith says, but I try the weakest ones and they make me dizzy. I think I've just been spoiled by having pretty much perfect eyesight all my life, until now.

edj3 said...

Well it's been two years since my last eye exam and since I did have Lasik, I try to be good about that exam anyway. I'm not so good about the rest of them to be honest :)