Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I love to read too

This morning as I approached Storrow Drive at the beginning of my commute, I came to a T intersection with a pedestrian cross walk that has a walk/don’t walk light. A woman was just standing there waiting to cross my lane of traffic only my lane had the red light.

Now you have to understand that in Boston the pedestrian reigns supreme. Boston is known as the walking city and if a pedestrian crosses in a marked pedestrian crossing and has the light, he or she rules that lane of traffic.

So I was puzzled why she wasn’t walking. Heck even if the pedestrian light said don’t walk, the cars still had the red light—she could have crossed that lane five times over. But she didn’t, she just stood there.

Then my light turned green and as I approached the intersection I saw her pull out a big honking book, open it and start reading. I'll read in a lot of different places including the shower, the kitchen, and the T. But it never occurred to me to stand at a busy intersection at 7:30 AM and read a book while traffic sped past.

2 comments:

KD said...

Suicide by book. I've tried to cross a Boston street against the light and though you warned me, you were SO right that the oncoming cars would speed up.

edj3 said...

It's like an undeclared war.