Friday, December 4, 2009

My cure

When I’m cranky or I’m not in a gracious mood (as my friend Kerry says), I find the only way I can begin to move out of that spot is by doing stuff. I’m not very good at sitting around and waiting; anyone who knows me will agree that patience has never been one of my strong points.

Well I’m sitting around waiting now. Our apartment flooded on October 28, five weeks and two days ago. Yes, I’m counting. We still don’t have an approved construction plan which means nothing has been done in the way of reconstruction. Worse, there’s not much of anything we can do to move things forward.

Kent’s company is in the midst of layoffs. You’d think we would both be immune to that stress due to the never-ending layoffs we went through while working for Sprint but that’s not the case. In fact I think this situation is a little worse since I don’t have a job—if he gets laid off things will really be rough.

So that’s why my mood stinks this week. Today I realized I’d better get moving or I was going to be really bad company this weekend. Fortunately the weather is absolutely gorgeous here in Boston (sorry, Nancy, hope you get some). Now we have coffee, the mail’s been picked up and sorted, cats have food, laundry is almost done, I replaced our collapsible cart we use to haul around groceries and I’m contemplating what to make for dinner. And yes, I’m in a better mood.

On Wednesday, housekeeping came. Apparently you get house cleaning every other week for your $4000/month rent. Wally did NOT like the housecleaners so he found a place to hide.

2 comments:

lemming said...

$4000/ MONTH??!

edj3 said...

I know. Part of that is because it's furnished and part of it is just due to living in Boston. Thank God we have personal property insurance, which is picking up this cost.