Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The recession’s not over

Most of the time when I submit my resume for a job opening, it disappears forever into the ether. Some companies send an auto-generated response acknowledging I’ve applied but that’s less common than you might think.

I’ve been given varied reasons why I haven’t gotten the job. Here are a few of my favorites.

“The job is too small for you.”
I was overqualified for this job but I loved what the company did, enough that I didn’t mind taking a step or two back. At each stage of the interview process, I answered the same questions about being overqualified. I thought I did a good job letting them know why I was interested in the position, because I really wanted to get a foot in the door. Apparently my foot was too big.

“The person who left the job came back.”
Dressed for the interview, I was almost out the door when the recruiter called me and said don’t come. Apparently the woman who’d left the job decided almost immediately she’d made a mistake and asked to come back.

“We’ve realized what we really need is a technical writer.” I interviewed separately with the two people I’d have been working with. During those two hours, I grew very uneasy about the job because the two of them didn’t agree on what they needed the person they hired to actually do. I asked them a lot of questions about what the immediate need was, what they needed from the successful candidate, and what their skills where. Ironically I am pretty sure I helped them pinpoint what they did need—a tech writer—while making sure I didn’t get the job.

And finally this week I got a new reason: “We have stopped all hiring.” This job was with the same company that told me the job was too small for me. I’m kind of proud of myself for trying with them again even though I was rejected once already. That should show you how much I like what the company does! They did some headcount reductions this year but their booked business for 2010 is good. They thought they were financially healthy enough to bring on another two trainers, but after a lengthy interview process where again I was a finalist, this week they realized they need to freeze all hiring for the foreseeable future.

For those of you who have jobs, be thankful. For those who don’t, I share your pain. And for all of us, here's a relaxing picture of Eddie. That cat sure knows how to snooze.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

It sounds so hard! I know how it is when you meet people and they immediately ask what you "do." It's hard not to have an easy answer.

Nancy said...

I've caught up. Grandchildren sound wonderful. My first year as an empty nester was just fine. I was so excited for my son...to be going back south to college on St. Charles in New Orleans instead of being lonely and stuck in Vermont. This year, not so good. My husband is gone all the time, and Stowe-ians would make Bostonians seem downright pushy friendly. And, now after just one and half years at college my son is a junior and a man. I need a little boy or girl! (tears, okay, choking sobs)

It is unfortunate the news media is successful at shaping the reality of the majority. No, the recession is not over. My husband cannot find a job in the REAL world and myself with a master's degree I'm sure I would be declined a job cleaning up rooms at the resort. Even if I did get one, Vermont would take MORE than I make in taxes on the increase in income. So, we pay our mortgage and "progressive" taxes and since this company has cut pay live on credit cards. This is the reality for many now. I thank you for talking about it.

But, Christmas trees and children make so many things happy, don't they? Oh, and a Bernina!!! Someday...

edj3 said...

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the things we do have. So far my husband has a job although his company is cutting jobs by 1/3 (ouch). We hope he makes it through. That's never a given any more.

But we are both healthy, we have no debt except our mortgage and no obligations beyond keeping the kitties in kibble. It's just very discouraging.

Nancy, I have an MS and I do think it's hurting me. Even when I dumb down my resume, I still come across as too qualified. So in the meantime, I sew and I manage our expenses. I've been a project manager in corporate America and my projects never ran over budget. This is just another project, I guess.

KD said...

I am taking the same approach -- my new job is managing my home quality, costs and timelines. Given that my paychecks wennt to Uncle Sam and childcare, me staying at home in many ways is far more economically stimulating for us. I admit we have cut out many extra expenses, but in the end it was the right call. Good thing, too, because every resume I've sent out has been pathetically ignored. Not to mention most of my old Sprint friends are either not employed or so newly employed they're still learning the ropes at their new company.

Jeff W called yesterday. He'll be out of work before the end of the month. He's had plenty of notice, but no leads on new jobs.