Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The effect of stress on cats

I’m not one to humanize animals, but Wally is one stressed kitty. He wanders around down here in the basement, crying and crying. When I go upstairs even for a moment, he cries at the top of the stairs. He roams all night long crying and getting into things, and he’s inconsolable.

I’m not surprised, he’s always been more sensitive to change than the other two cats. And he’s the one who ran into the rising water—I’m pretty sure he was trying to get to his safe spot, the top of our cat perch. I’ve never seen such a terrified cat when he came scrambling back into the bedroom, and getting him into his carrier was really tough.

We have a soft carrier that’s pretty much worthless, it’s too small for any of the cats and it’s difficult to close and to carry. But Wally has used it before as a safe hidey hole so I am hoping he will do so again. I sprinkled some cat nip in the carrier and put in one of his favorite toys. Then I just sat by the carrier for a bit.


3 comments:

Diane Russell said...

Awww, that's so cute. Poor little guy. I wonder how he's going to take yet another move?

I'm so glad to see that your insurance adjuster seems to be working for you at a good pace. I know it seems slow to you, but things really have been moving along quickly.

You didn't lose those lovely purple shoes, did you? Now that would be tragedy!

Jeanne said...

Poor Wally. I'm sure he misses his stuff...all that cheek-rubbing to do on everything all over again. And the humans just don't seem to understand.

Angie said...

You're such a good mama. :)