Saturday, November 7, 2009

53 East Manning Street

My mother lived in Providence as a little girl, and she gave me the address. We drove there today to check it out and wow, it's a cool neighborhood full of historic houses in great shape. It looks as though the house was like the neighbors and was an upstairs/downstairs duplex, but it's been combined into one single family home. So there's a 51 East Manning Street but no 53 East Manning Street.

We took a short video plus a couple of pictures.

Edited to add that after conferring with my uncle, my mother says their address was indeed 51 East Manning Street. What a very cool neighborhood.






3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool! I always find it fascinating that if we explore enough we find that our lives are linked by far fewer than six degrees of separation. Perhaps it was your destiny to be pushed temporarily into Providence to make this discovery...and to get a new kitchen out of it! Woohoo...gotta love fate!
Tony

Unknown said...

HI Elizabeth. I know the street very well having walked down it many times while an undergraduate at Brown...lovely historic street. (Interesting factoid: there are over 5,000 buildings in the Rhode Island that are on the national historic register, many in Providence, and that is 5% of all historic buildings in the United States - not bad for the small state in the country.)

I am so glad you found your mom's home. Truly, a wondeful corner of Divine Providence.

I agree that with Tony that it was your destiny, or more appropriately, "divine providence" that drew you and Kent to Providence. Founder Roger Williams, back in 1636, when he could not longer endure the intolerance and persecution of those in the Bay Colony (i.e., Boston) he fled to a refuge he, "having, in a sense of God’s merciful providence unto me in my distress, called the place PROVIDENCE".

I am so happy you have found refuge in Providence and hope that you will always look back fondly on your stay in my favorite city!

Peter

Jeanne said...

When we lived in Middletown, RI for a few months we'd go to Providence or Boston for "big city" excitement!