Saturday, June 20, 2009

Do you use coupons?

I do use coupons, but not very many. I’ve noticed most coupons are either for prepared foods or they are for cleaners or household products I don’t use, or they are a brand I really do not like. In the past I’ve felt somehow guilty and wasteful when I don’t use a coupon but a couple of good blog posts have helped me clarify when and how I’ll use them.

First, take a look at this article about first-order foods, which is just another way of describing food that’s lower on the food chain. Most coupons are for second-order foods and I pay a premium in dollars, quality and unwanted additions to my food when I choose most second-order foods. So that eliminates lots of coupons right there.

Second, here’s a list of coupons that should be in this Sunday’s paper. As I scanned this list, I saw either quantity requirements that disqualify me from fulfilling the terms of the coupons, or I didn’t see the few brands I do really prefer. For example I have a coupon for Lysol’s tub and tile cleaner. But I have to buy two bottles to save a dollar. Now I have the world’s most sensitive nose and most cleaning products smell really bad to me. I’m willing to take a gamble and buy ONE bottle of the Lysol cleaner but I probably won’t buy two bottles.

Having said all that, we are in the process of stockpiling the foods we do use when they are on sale. Shaw’s has Barilla pasta on sale, 10 boxes for $10. That’s a pretty good buy since it’s usually $1.49 a box. So now I need to make room in this closet for 10 boxes of pasta. Wish me luck.

No comments: