Thursday, January 15, 2009

Random snow thoughts

I’ve always thought tucking pants into those big ugly UGG boots was just plain hideous and done solely to follow some celebrity fashion whim. I still think the look is ugly, especially when done with UGG boots but after being in Boston this winter, I see why pants need to be either tucked or rolled up a bit. If you don’t, you’ll get salty water wicked up the back of your legs probably to your knees, and your jeans will end up disintegrating from the salt. So I roll my jeans now, because I can’t find boots that let me tuck my pants in them AND stay on my feet. That’s just one downside to having narrow feet (the other being the ridiculous prices I have to pay to get narrow shoes. You never find narrow shoes at someplace like Payless.).

The other thing I’ve noticed with the snow is that Boston—or at least the South End—has a lot of dogs. I know this because of all the yellow snow and the piles of poop that rude dog owners aren't picking up. They can't help that their dogs are pee machines, but c'mon PICK UP THE POOP.

Boston is a smoke-free state, so any smoking not done in a private residence must be done outside. The saddest thing I see as I walk to the grocery is when I walk past a nursing home with residents parked in their wheelchairs outside in this freezing cold, smoking a cigarette. I am so very glad I never started smoking.

Finally I will just say that last year when I bought my North Face coat and my Santana boots (which are close to these, but mine are both waterproof and lined with Thinsulate) I really thought I spent too much money. I don’t think that any more. They’ve more than earned their purchase price this winter.

1 comment:

Judith said...

I, too, am glad you never took up smoking. And, it was 62 in Denver yesterday - sorry you can't join us in basking in the sun. When I lived in Vermont, this sort of winter was followed by the 5th season of the year, the mud season. Good job, buying adequate clothing for your new climate.