Thursday, January 29, 2009

I knew this day would come

As you know, Eddie is a large cat and has struggled for a long time to stay on my lap when he wants lap time. He'd tried Kent's lap but Kent generally changes into slick athletic pants and a sweatshirt when he gets home from work. Eddie slides right off those pants and after trying a couple of times last year, he gave up on Kent.

It's chilly enough in this apartment that Kent has gone into what he calls his granny look: he drapes a small blanket over his legs for warmth. In addition to keeping Kent warmer, it also provides a nice soft spot for Eddie where he can stay put. I'm kind of sad because in addition to being warm, Eddie is very soothing to have on your lap.

I sent off my graduate school application today but had a little scare first. I tend to procrastinate on deadlines and while I wasn't quite at the last second, I was close: the application is due on Sunday, February 1.

My plan this morning was to work out, review my letter of intent a final time and then get cleaned up and head out to send the packet overnight to UMass Boston. I had no sooner put the work out DVD in the player than the power went out. I'd already put my documents on a flash drive so I knew I could go someplace else to print them, but I was still frazzled. Fortunately the power was off for only about 20 minutes, just long enough for the apartment to get pretty chilly. As I headed out to mail my application just now, I learned from a neighbor that the electric company had told her we would be without power for two to four hours. I'm really glad I didn't know that at the time!

1 comment:

sabrina said...

maybe you should try putting a blanket on your lap and see if eddy comes back.

i've been keeping the heat low in my house (by choice to save some $$) and the dogs like to sit on our laps. while it's not as "soothing" as a smaller animal (<90 lbs) would be, it's definitely super warm/hot. i can sometimes get diesel to lay on my stomach while titan lays at my feet...and then it's toasty.