Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cooking for a crowd

It’s been years since I’ve regularly cooked for more than two people—Ben graduated from high school and moved out almost eight years ago. However the small group I go to on Wednesday evenings also eats dinner together before we start the Bible study portion of our evening. Food can get complicated because we never know for sure how many will show up; we’ve had as few as seven or as many as 12. At least two don’t eat meat, but will eat cheese, eggs and milk.

Last week I brought a double batch of corn muffins to go with the chili someone else brought. I made one batch with cheese and one batch with diced adobo peppers and both kinds tasted really good. I also brought an apple crisp which was really yummy. Well how can you go wrong when you have good apples and butter in something?

Someone else was scheduled to bring dinner this week but she is unexpectedly on call this week so she had to bail. I offered to bring dinner instead. On top of that, one of the small group leaders just had her baby yesterday and I’d offered to bring her family dinner tomorrow night. So I just now got through making four batches of steamed rice to make four batches of my mother’s chicken and rice dish. I just left chicken out of one of them for those who don’t eat meat. The house is well hydrated now and also smells pretty good.

PS I saved two servings for Kent because this is one of his favorite dishes.

PPS Do you like this template better? It’s not the same one I had up for the poll.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Sorry to be slow on commenting on this post, but just got home yesterday afternoon and went to symphony last night.

That chicken and rice dish is one of our favorites as well and it's interesting that it tastes good without the chicken - but then, garlic and onions and cheese always taste good.