Thursday, September 4, 2008

Suggestions?

OK my fellow kitty-loving friends, I have a couple of questions for you.

First off is the issue of litter. Specifically when Eddie uses the litter box, he turns his front paws into giant shovels and scoops massive amounts of litter out of the box and against the facing wall. I'm talking too much litter to vacuum up, and it's all with his front paws. He's not kicking with his back paws. It's truly impressive and also disgusting how much litter he moves.

So do you have any suggestions on how to get him to stop? Or alternatively, got any ideas on how I can better contain the mess? Here's the back of the console where the litter boxes are housed. As you can see, creating a barrier will be complicated by the curve of the wall.

And the second question is how can we install shelves capable of taking a cat's weight and the initial extra weight from when they jump up on the shelf? The boy kitties are climbers, especially Wally. And Eddie is just a lard butt, he weighs about 15 pounds now, so I figure the initial load from an Eddie jump might be pretty hefty. We'd had the previous owners leave the floating shelves, which I think they got from West Elm. Those shelves did not take even Wally's weight. I'd prefer to have the cats be on something better designed for them than have them climbing our bookcases.

No comments: