Friday, September 5, 2008

Somewhat embarrasing . . .

We had two vacuums when we lived in Kansas City: a large Kenmore upright and a small Eureka Optima bagless vacuum. The Kenmore is very powerful except the hand tool doesn't do a great job on furniture (a must with three kitties) and it's not all that great on bare floors. But it's fantastic on carpet. We got the Optima for the hardwood floors in our previous house, plus the hand tool was amazing on both stairs and furniture.

However we ruined one of the two included filters for the bagless vacuum by using it to clean up all the dry wall dust and debris. And for whatever reason, the second one didn't seat all that well so getting the stupid cannister open to empty the container was a real pain. I looked all over for replacement filters but they are not to be found. I thought I found them at Bed, Bath & Beyond but alas they don't fit. So that vacuum is useless because it won't run without the filter.

We've been using the Kenmore since our things were delivered a couple of weeks ago, and I figured I better check the bag because it wasn't doing all that great of a job on the carpet since we moved. I got a nasty surprise when I opened the bag container--there was no bag and the container was about 1/3 full of packed solid cat hair. Dear Lord it was gross.

I emptied it out as best I could, and got a bag in there but honestly it's not working all that well. And the really sad/embarrassing part is I think we were the ones to take the bag out. If I recall correctly, we figured since our things would be in storage for a couple of months we didn't want a stinky mostly-full vacuum bag smelling up our stuff. I guess we are in the market for a new vacuum now. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

4 comments:

Kalea said...

Not long ago, my daughter bought a Dyson Animal Vacuum. They're a bit pricey, but she swears that nothing has ever picked up pet hair, or anything else, like this one. She has those dust bunnies of fine rabbit hair, as well as hair from the cat.

And the obvious answer is to buy an expensive vacuum, not shave the cats.

Kent J said...

Tell me more about plan b. I think both Wally and Eddie would look dashing with that shaved body / lion head look.

edj3 said...

They would kill you in your sleep.

Kalea said...

No, no, Kent. At least when Eddie does his Playgirl pose, he has fur. Let's keep it clean.