Monday, September 22, 2008

My trip to New York

Did you have to write those annoying essays when you first returned to school: What I did on summer vacation? I sure did, and this entry reminds me of those days.

I always enjoy New York, even though I've been there a lot. Mostly though I really loved seeing Kent. He's been gone a lot this month and after living apart for nine moths, I get grumpy when he's not around. One benefit of living in Boston is that the flight to New York is pretty short. I thought about taking the train and may do that another time, and I guess I could have driven but honestly I wouldn't want to pay for hotel parking in New York. We stayed at Club Quarters right by Radio City Hall and he got an amazing rate: $235 a night. Any more that's a good rate no matter where you are but it's really fantastic in Manhattan.

We hooked up with two different sets of friends, one on Friday night and the other Saturday afternoon. That left us plenty of time to enjoy seeing each other. As Kent said, we can aim for the same sort of relaxing, do-nothing weekend at home but the truth is all the various normal household chores call our names and we end up getting busy with mundane tasks that need to be done but aren't particularly relaxing.

Fashion Week was--alas--already over but that meant we could get things on sale at pretty good prices. For example, I got a Kenneth Cole purse for under $100. Yes, that's still a lot of money but it's at least within the realm of consideration. I turned down an even better Cole Haan purse for $245 :-)

I also managed to collect four blisters, three of which ruptured and bled. So I wimped out last night and grabbed a taxi from the airport instead of taking the T. Poor feet.

This morning, I realized that Mr. Wally has learned how to flush the toilet. I wish I'd had my camera because it's pretty funny how he does it: he perches on the back of the toilet and pushes the handle (which is on the side, not the front) down with his paw. He was most intrigued. I was mostly amused.

1 comment:

Kalea said...

You have to get a picture of Wally flushing. Is the toilet seat up where he's watching the water swirl around in the bowl? Just curious about the fascination for him.

On the one hand, if he's busy flushing, he won't be eating toilet paper, but the water bill might be bigger than the cost of an occasional roll of exploding toilet paper.

*loves Wally*