Thursday, September 11, 2008

The "joys" of home ownership

Our toilet has been temperamental since we moved in. Sometimes you'd get a perfect flush the first time with barely a push of the handle. Other times you'd have to hold and hold and hold and then maybe if the toilet gods were willing, you'd get a good flush. Sometimes you'd just have to resign yourself to reflushing.

Now that's always bothered me. I was going to say it bugs the crap out of me but thought better of it. Sorry for the awful pun. Anyway--to me it's pretty simple. If I push the handle down, I should get a flush right away with no contortions or prayers required.

Yesterday things got worse, although I remained blissfully unaware until 11 PM. I knew I was having to flush more than once but what I didn't realize is apparently we have a clog, which I discovered at 11 PM, when I also was already in my PJs and also really needed to pee. Let me tell you, folks, that is just not a fun discovery.

Long story not quite so long, all my efforts (including walking half a mile to the store to get a plunger which doesn't work in our fancy pancy toilet), hollering, crying, sniveling and generally being miserable--none of it helped. Kent suggested using a wire clothes hanger to ream out the toilet. Except we no longer have even one wire hanger.

I spent the night at a nearby hotel and called a plumber recommended by our wonderful realtor, Paul. The plumber should be here within a half hour. I will pay whatever his fee is to have a working toilet.

The picture is what I came home to. As you can see, Wally knows damn well where the toilet paper is. He usually can't get to the container since we keep it sort of tucked between the toilet and tub. I moved it last night so I could uselessly plunge the toilet.

UPDATE: Greg the plumber has been here and gone. For $85, I have a working toilet, he adjusted the handle and showed me how to do it and we talked about replacement toilets that don't sit so low to the ground that you think you are in kindergarten again. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

Kalea said...

Wally didn't do it! I swear! It's that Boston Exploding Toilet Paper again!

Honestly, I just don't get the attraction of gnawing out the middle of a roll of toilet paper. Unrolling it to play with it makes sense, but just nibbling it doesn't. Unless, of course, this is his only food source.

I do hope the plumber gets you fixed up. It's a tragedy when the toilet doesn't work and that's the only bathroom you have.

*hugs*

Kalea said...

My husband wants to know how Wally developed this toilet paper fetish.

edj3 said...

I have no idea. And he'll do it to paper towel rolls, too. The mess is exponential as you might imagine. I haven't actually seen him go full bore on the TP, only the very beginnings and of course him running away scattering TP as he bolted.

He doesn't have front claws so I think he holds the roll with the front paws and then bunny kicks it to death. I guess he would eviscerate prey like that. He learned he got in trouble attacking TP if I heard him in the middle of the night so he would carry it downstairs and then mutilate away to his little kitty heart's content. What a freak.